Friday, May 25, 2007

So far

I’ve read a couple books about single stigmatization, the best one is called “Singled Out: How Singles are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored” by Bella Depaulo Ph.D. It really made me start thinking about this issue as an issue. I realized that I co-operate with the stigma by making fun of myself for being single, when really it’s a personal choice I’ve made and there’s nothing wrong with it. Apparently, older women who’ve always been single are the happiest people, tied with those who’ve stayed married. So there’s no benefit in being married in terms of happiness.

I’ve also visited a website long ago about people who choose to remain childess. I’m sure they are stigmatized as well, left out of gatherings with their other coupled friends because there’s no kids to bring along.

I’m thinking about starting a Causes group for this on Facebook. But I think I have to find a suitable charity foundation for donations! I’m not sure there’s one out there yet, and I’m not up to creating one. Maybe someday.

Share It

Disclaimer

I sometimes write things that I don't really mean or believe. These are not to be taken literally, nor as definitive statements about me or my beliefs. Thoughts and emotions are transient, and I reserve the right to change my mind, generalize, exaggerate, give strong opinions, or write other possibly offensive statements. I don't lie, but I may say something that's not true to check whether I believe it or not, or to make a point. Call it creative license. This is my blog, and do have the right to say what I want. I'm using it in creatively therapeutic ways. Whatever the reader may think of me and my words, please believe that my core intentions are always good and I never willingly hurt anyone.