Sunday, July 01, 2007

Gratitude on Canada Day

I figure as a birthday present to my country, I will reflect on things about Canada that I am grateful for.

1. Our reputation as “polite” and “friendly”. I am proud that we are known for these characteristics, and I hope we continue, as a nation, to behave in ways that prolong this status.

2. Our size. We are the biggest country in the world, and with a relatively small population, we have some unspoiled land, refuges for wildlife, amazing national and provincial parks, gorgeous scenery ranging from snowcapped mountains to blue Georgian Bay waters, dense forests, rolling farmlands, ocean cliffs…I could go on forever. Canada is a beautiful country that experiences the full range of the four seasons.

3. Universal healthcare. It’s nowhere close to perfect, but I will forever be grateful that I at least can see my doctor when I need to without having to pay for it, that if I ever get injured, surgery is covered, access to the best medicines and technology, and a society open to all alternative health care practices.

4. Our government system. I’m totally ignorant about how things really work, but I’m grateful that we have more options than the two-partied system in the US. I just wish more people would take advantage of having more than two parties. But that’s another tirade.

5. Freedoms. Freedom of speech, dress, religion, ideology, profession, etc. etc. I cannot even fathom living in a society that doesn’t allow these things, that is intolerant, fascist, fundamentalist…I know I am very lucky to have been born here.

Share It

Disclaimer

I sometimes write things that I don't really mean or believe. These are not to be taken literally, nor as definitive statements about me or my beliefs. Thoughts and emotions are transient, and I reserve the right to change my mind, generalize, exaggerate, give strong opinions, or write other possibly offensive statements. I don't lie, but I may say something that's not true to check whether I believe it or not, or to make a point. Call it creative license. This is my blog, and do have the right to say what I want. I'm using it in creatively therapeutic ways. Whatever the reader may think of me and my words, please believe that my core intentions are always good and I never willingly hurt anyone.