Tuesday, August 11, 2009

43Things - I've Done: How to find new friends

"I looked online and found a lot of people who are very nice"

How I did it: I joined Twitter, and I placed an ad in the friendship personals section on kijiji. I did meet a friend in real life, but most of my new friends are online - ok for me since I have chronic illness and can't go out socially very frequently. Amazing group of friends on twitter, like having my own 24 hour support network. It only took me a few months of regular twittering to gain an amazing community online. I'm so grateful and have added many of them to my smaller, closer Facebook Network.

I also got involved with health activism - I helped found a new charity for ME/CFS and have made a lot of connections with others who have chronic illness, and some very close friends :)

Lessons & tips: Really, just put yourself out there. Be honest about who you are, be friendly and care about other people and what their lives are like. Try Twitter. I can't say enough about it!

Resources:

http://www.twitter.com

It took me 5 months.

It made me supported

Share It

Disclaimer

I sometimes write things that I don't really mean or believe. These are not to be taken literally, nor as definitive statements about me or my beliefs. Thoughts and emotions are transient, and I reserve the right to change my mind, generalize, exaggerate, give strong opinions, or write other possibly offensive statements. I don't lie, but I may say something that's not true to check whether I believe it or not, or to make a point. Call it creative license. This is my blog, and do have the right to say what I want. I'm using it in creatively therapeutic ways. Whatever the reader may think of me and my words, please believe that my core intentions are always good and I never willingly hurt anyone.