Saturday, December 05, 2009

Update 5 #rrreadathon

AAH! I almost made it, but not quite! I have just a few pages left til the end of this book. I still don't know what I'm going to read next, but I'm fairly sure it's not going to be the next book in the series - I've read 6 in a row and I need a break from The Brotherhood!

Stats:
Books Read: Lover Enshrined
Pages Read: 360
Total Books Finished: 0
Total Pages Read: 360
Total Time Spent Reading: 6.5 hours

Darkness has fallen, it's been 10 hours since the readathon started, 9 since I actually started reading. I think I'm starting to get hungry again, but geez I felt so bloated after my last meal, I think I'm going to wait til I'm ravenous to eat again. The last few books in this series I'm reading have given me a few eye-rollers - this latest is a vampire attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings, and having lovely recovery experiences. Just makes you wanna say, "OH COME ON!" It's really a bit too much sometimes. But, this genre is one that I usually avoid - romance. I was lent all the books in the series by my best friend's workmate, both of whom raved about it, and I did not realize they were romance novels - thought they were urban fantasy. But, I've been going through a crappy time in my life and they've provided an easy escape for me the past couple weeks. So, I'm going to finish the series, just because I've already invested so much. But they'll be the last romances I read for a long, long time!

Gonna check and see if my buddies have joined in the fun yet. Before I do, I'll answer the favourite/least favourite questions posed by Reads4Pleasure over at her blog.

Least favourite character hands down has to be Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. If you've read the book, no explanation will be required as to why I love to hate this guy. He's written to be hated. He's obnoxious, hypocritical, arrogant, emotionally immature, narcissistic...you know, all the qualities that really drive me bat-shit in a real person. All the things I pray I am not, and am terrified that I am. 'Nuff said.

Favorite character. That is a HUGE question. I don't know if I can answer it to any accuracy, but I'll say that I greatly admire Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen). I mean, who doesn't admire Lizzie!? She's sharp as a tack, yet a diplomatic peacemaker, fiercely loyal to those she loves, doesn't waver morally, admits when she's wrong, and manages to make the best of a situation in which she sees clearly the social bindings imposed upon women yet somehow acquiesces to them with grace even as they threaten to strangle. She's a helluva woman. :)

Read on, brave bookworms!

Share It

Disclaimer

I sometimes write things that I don't really mean or believe. These are not to be taken literally, nor as definitive statements about me or my beliefs. Thoughts and emotions are transient, and I reserve the right to change my mind, generalize, exaggerate, give strong opinions, or write other possibly offensive statements. I don't lie, but I may say something that's not true to check whether I believe it or not, or to make a point. Call it creative license. This is my blog, and do have the right to say what I want. I'm using it in creatively therapeutic ways. Whatever the reader may think of me and my words, please believe that my core intentions are always good and I never willingly hurt anyone.